Wednesday, December 16, 2009

My Opinion of the Term “Redneck,” by Kat

Many people have this idea that if you’re redneck you’re automatically racist. Well, that’s not true at all!! Just because we wear the rebel flag doesn’t mean we’re racist, and yes I say we because I will say, myself, I am a redneck and I am proud of it!! But that doesn’t mean I dislike any other race. Our flag is heritage not hate. And redneck just means you’re “country.”

When I think of redneck, I think of jacked up 4x4s with mud all over them, shotguns, huntin’, and boots, not being racist. I have a lot of friends that are not white, so obviously I ain’t racist. Saying automatically that rednecks are racist is like saying all people from Islam are terrorists and going to blow us up. Not all of them are and not all rednecks are racist!

I’m livin' proof of that: My best friend since I was little is Kris Watkins, and he is black. He’s like my brother because I don’t judge by color. Just because some rednecks are racist doesn’t mean we all should be labeled as so.

No comments:

Post a Comment