Tuesday, April 13, 2010

A Tour of Duke University, by Dianwen

It's an ideal Saturday, after-rain, clear and cool. I started the pleasant journey to the west campus of Duke by bike as the sun withdrew its domination of the temperature. This time I picked as many available roads in the shade of forests as possible; the difference in temperature and air between forest path and streets was a great surprise.

It only took about 80 minutes to get there with all those traffic lights green. Ha. A length of path in campus smelled precisely of grape juice, thanks to some blooming trees hiding from me. I sought out a better area where more fancy old buildings and plants lie and more Blue Devils gathered around. I admire them.

The Art museum ticket is free on Thursday, the only day I stayed at home in spring break mending a busted front tire. From there, I moved on because there are more Thursdays that lie beyond. I feel excited about this fact.

I hesitated several more times before taking myself down from the bike where I could see bodies and tops of old towers which seemed pretty nice. I went into a tall tower to find out why it was built so large and singing music of organ. Ah, now don't you laugh at me. If you already know that it is a church, I should have taken you along.

A group of young Indians was just coming out. "So what do you want to see next?" Asked a boy.
"Flowers." A girl answered. And they walked away.

They might be with a student guiding his relatives. I pushed the door open and realized at once where I'm going. The beauty and greatness inside multiplied in times. It reminds me of facing the ocean and the starful sky. Few people were in but it is never empty. Taking pictures, slowly tracing the path, trying to knock the whole of it in their mind. Some people sat, felt, and prayed in silence. A mosquito here would pray before stinging.

Plants here grow better than many other places I've been so far these months. Maybe it's the soil or climate. There is a piece of land with a big stack of flowers in the same shape: I fooled myself counting their colors.

I used to see marks left by people on architectures, but here those old corridors and architectures stand without a scratch.

A crowd of students set up potlucks for funding in a backyard like area. I bought a sandwich and the money will be donated for ill kids. They seemed to quite enjoy what they were doing.

There are many tourists hanging about as well. Wind blows a Chinese word or two from either students or tourists. I wander imagining that I'm a student of this university, and have fun pretending to be.

I captured a swing chair to finish the itty-bitty sandwich. It has six seats in total, with a table not right in the middle but close to one row and far from the other, so either a skinny or plump body can fit in.

There is a library beside the church with few people in it today. Time was running out, if I didn't leave at once I would reach home in dark. I saw no more than historical and statistical books. A guy studied over an immense terrestrial globe. He was scratching his head as I passed back. It's so quiet, but the doors can't help shutting themselves aloud.

The campus is much more peaceful now. I laughed at the idea that I'm always welcome to have a visit, but that's all. I enjoy this rich afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment