Friday, November 13, 2009

Waiting for the Buck, by Trent

As I was walking through the woods to my tree stand, I was thinking about how I didn’t want the season to end. Even though I hadn’t shot anything all season, I had seen a couple of deer. All season, I had only seen three does and a couple fawns. I didn’t want to shoot them because I knew if I did I would get picked on for shooting “Bambi.” I couldn’t tell if the fawns would grow up to be monster bucks or big does.

This would have been the last time I got to hunt during the season, so I was really wishing I could get something to brag about to my pawpaw and my uncle. When I came back from daydreaming, I went to my stand that I wanted to hunt in that afternoon.
It was a perfect afternoon to hunt. The wind wasn’t blowing. The trees had lost all their leaves: Everything was still and calm. I was waiting for that big buck to walk out of the trees following the doe and its fawn. As I sat there, I got more and more anxious to see that big buck following the doe and its fawn out into the field. My uncle was in the stand across the field to my left and my pawpaw was in the other one back behind my grandmaw’s house. I had my dads 30.30 rifle laying across the rail bars on my tree stand. I heard footsteps.

I got my gun ready. I kept hearing the sound, and then I looked down. It was three squirrels chasing each other from one tree to another. I was so mad I wish I had my .22 cal riffle with me so I could just shoot them and be able to take something back to the house, but I didn’t want to take the chance and scare away the deer if it was near. I sat there in the silent thinking about how I wished the big buck would come out so I could shoot him.

Later I heard something to my right. I looked. I couldn’t see clearly through the trees but one spot. So I just watched. After about thirty or so minutes, I saw that white tail flicker in the air. I was ready to blast the deer. I waited for it to come out. I couldn’t tell if it was a buck or doe or what, but I knew it was a deer. If it walked out, it wasn’t gonna be alive for long. I watched it walk around over tree limbs. It was a big doe. I sat there patiently waiting for it to come out to the field and get some corn instead of eating acorns. I heard a tree branch fall. I looked back to my right and I saw the doe leaping over the fallen tree branch.

I saw a second tail following it right behind it. I was mad but happy at the same time because I knew that next year they’ll be bigger. I’ll be waiting. I’m so glad deer season is here after I have been waiting all summer to hear the beautiful sound of my gun go off and see that monster buck laying there dead as a rock. I can’t wait to be in a new spot this season where my pawpaw saw a big 8 pointer.

9 comments:

  1. Dang I didnt know you could write!
    -Alexis Pantermakis

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very special to me in alot of ways because you are my brother and it touches me to see you feel so good about hunting. Good Job
    -Travis Oakley

    ReplyDelete
  3. good job you used good details and it felt like i was there.s.b.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow I didnt know people could feel so strongly about hunting the way your brother describes hunting as being boring but you describe it as it being fun and I respect that - Brianna Hester

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love you
    you love me
    were a happy family
    with a GREAT big hug and
    and kiss from me to you
    blah blah blah blah
    :)
    wont you say you love me too?
    i think? thats how it goes;]

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think hunting is boring because I do not like illing deers but i do see why you kill them because we need some food and they are over populated -Brianna hester

    ReplyDelete
  7. HECK YEA BO


    CHAPSTICK

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was really good.
    -Samantha Russell

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is an amazing story Trent. I hope you get a deer next year but not before I kill one!! :p

    <3 Crystal B.

    ReplyDelete